Hiroshima University, located in the Japanese cities of Higashihiroshima and Hiroshima, was established 1949 by the merger of a number of national educational institutions.
The present Hiroshima University, which was created from these two institutions as well as three other “old-system” training institutions for teachers, continues to hold an important position among the universities and colleges of education in Japan. Also, Hiroshima Higher Technical School, which has introduced a large number of talented people into the world of Japanese industry, was founded in 1920 and was promoted to a Technical College (Senmon Gakko) in 1944. Hiroshima Higher School was founded in 1923 as one of the pre-war higher schools which prepared students for Imperial Universities and other government-supported universities. Although these educational institutions suffered a great deal of damage due to the atomic bomb which was dropped on Hiroshima on August 6, 1945, they were reconstructed and combined to become the new Hiroshima University. In addition, Graduate Schools were established in 1953. The new Hiroshima University has risen from the ruins of war like a phoenix, which is in fact the University’s symbol.